This article on the CBS Chicago website, http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/Manzullo.savage.religion.2.1319013.html, follows the controversy that arose from a remark that a Illinois congressman, Donald Manzullo, made in which he said that the Guantanamo Bay prisoners follow a “savage religion.”
Manzullo has already apologized and said that he never specified Islam and even said “These terrorists have perverted the peaceful nature of Islam for their own demented purposes.” There is currently a proposal to transfer from of the Guantanamo Bay prisoners to Illinois, and Manzullo is against this. The supporters of this proposal argue that Republicans like Manzullo are focusing on “fear mongering” to instill a sense of fear of Muslims.
I feel that the Democrats were right about GOP members like Manzullo in that they are attacking the religion. It was really wrong for Manzullo to say that, but I also understand his side, because these terrorists are extremists of that religion. But I think the Democrats are trying to make the opposition for the proposal into some kind of attack on religion when it’s not. I just think the GOP members don’t want these dangerous people on American soil regardless of their religion.
No comments:
Post a Comment