Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Opposition Against Mosque Expansion



This article on the Atlanta Journal Constitution website, http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/does-religion-play-role-202048.html?cxtype=rss_news_128746, discusses the possible reasons of the opposition against rezoning plans that would include expanding a local mosque. The residents say that it’s not about religion while a local Muslim congregation says otherwise.
The article seemed very open minded with concerns from both sides. The story reminded me of a petition against the building of a church near on neighborhood. Even though I wasn’t even sure of what kind of church it was, I just signed against the building of it. It was the same year that a whole complex, including a new Target, was built on our block. It was just so noisy and I could constantly hear our house cracking. I thought the article was really rounded; it included Muslims who felt that these people are against Muslims while it also included a Muslim who understood the people’s concerns. Even though Georgia is a predominately Christian state, I don’t think that these people are against Muslim people. From the article, it sounds like the old mosque has been there for 50 years, so if the residents were against Islam, they wouldn’t have bought a house so close to a mosque. I think they’re just concerned about the constant noise and possible devaluation of their house from all the construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment