Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Religious License Plates



This article on the New York Times website, http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/11/us/11brfs-LICENSEPLATE_BRF.html, discusses a ruling that makes it unconstitutional for the state of South Carolina to issue license plates with a crucifix and the phrase “I Believe” on it.
I found the article the New York times had when South Carolina introduced these licenses last year(http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/06/us/06license.html). Before reading the old article, I thought that it was right for the judge to rule that way, because it does respect an establishment of religion. But after reading the old article, I disagree with the ruling. The old article mentions that the state offers “200 other specialty plates” ranging from sororities to Boy Scout Troops. I feel that if someone can have their fraternity’s letters on a license plate, a Christian should be able to have a cross on theirs. The only thing is that the state does not make any profits out of any of this. For the specialty plates, the profits go to the sponsors and these Christian plates would be sold at cost. I think the state should sell these plates for more and keep a portion of the sales for manpower and storage costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment