This article on the BBC website, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8365923.stm, covers Intel’s Jerusalem plant problem. The Orthodox Jews had a protest against Jewish workers working on Saturdays, their Sabbath. Intel agreed to only employ 60 non Jewish people to work on those days.
I find it interesting that Intel adapted to its environment. If they want to enjoy cheaper labor, they have to meet the demands of the workers. But I feel that this may put Jewish people at a disadvantage. There are non Jewish people in the Jerusalem area who are willing to work on Saturdays and it may be easier to hire a larger proportion of those people as opposed to Jewish people. Also, I feel that if a Jewish worker wants to work on the Sabbath, he or she should be allowed to. Because there may be Jewish people that are not as conservative and may choose to pick another day as their Sabbath.
No comments:
Post a Comment