Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Fort Hood



This article on the CNN website, http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/11/06/fort.hood.suspect.muslim/, discuses how religion factored into Nidal Hasan and the Fort Hood shooting.
This article is comprehensive, but it is so confusing. Hasan’s Muslim chaplain said that Hasan joined the military to “do something for America in the aftermath of September 11.” But a former classmate said that Hasan “equated the war against terror with a war against Islam.” I am not very knowledgeable about Islam, but it does seem like Hasan’s perception of Islam allowed him to do this. It seems like he had good intentions for joining the military, but he was shunned by the other military members because of his religion. I think the treatment of him made him embrace the extremist view of Islam. I just find it strange that he just didn’t leave the army. Instead, he wanted to sue to prevent his deployment to Iraq. I just don’t understand why he just didn’t leave if he was being treated badly. There was no reason to hurt innocent people. It’s like he became the person he was against.

No comments:

Post a Comment