Tuesday, November 17, 2009

4 Students Sue County For Promoting Religion









This article on the Newsday website, http://www.newsday.com/news/nation/students-sue-tenn-county-schools-over-religion-1.1593155, is about a group of students who are suing a county in Tennessee for promoting Christianity.
If what the students are claiming is true, I understand why they are suing. The article mentions the distribution of Gideon’s Bibles in the classroom and I think that is wrong. The only way for it to be acceptable is if the Bibles were used in a history or religion class. It’s not fair for people of other religions and other “Christian” denominations who use other books. The students might get the wrong idea that religion x is better than religion y, because religion x is getting all the preferential treatment at school. The school’s website used to display Bible verses and I think that that clearly shows a preferential treatment of one religion. Even if it’s not really against someone, the students might be pressured or influenced into thinking that their religion is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment