Saturday, October 10, 2009

Wearing Veils in Public




This article from Bloomberg’s website, http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aVnzt_V.3sr0, is about a Canadian Muslim group asking their Prime Minister to ban veils that women wear to cover their faces, “because of concerns they oppress women and can compromise security.” This particular group argues that these veils have “..got thing to do with Islam..” I looked up burqa’s, which is just one example of a type of veil, on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burqa) and it said that
“Many Muslims believe that the Islamic holy book, the Qur'an, and the collected traditions of the life of Muhammed, or hadith, require both men and women to dress and behave modestly in public. However, this requirement, called hijab, has been interpreted in many different ways by Islamic scholars (ulema) and Muslim communities (see Women and Islam); the burqa is not specifically mentioned in the Quran.[2]”
After reading this, I feel that if a particular Muslim group’s reading of their holy book calls for a veil, it’s not really up to the government to decide whether to ban it or not, because they are just practicing their religion.
One of the arguments against the veils is that women are allowed to vote without showing their face in Canada. And I think this is just wrong; It’s one thing to walk around in veils, but it’s another thing to have them allowed to wear veils during events that require proper documentation. The women should not be able to take picture id’s with their veils on and they should not be able to vote with a veil, because how would the person know that they are really the ones voting? I’m not saying that they would have to walk around the whole DMV(or the Canadian equivalent) without their veils. You can probably have a female employee verify the person and have the woman put their veils back on.
One the other hand, I wouldn’t blame a police officer for looking at these women who are wearing the veils with more scrutiny, because it’s usually robbers(and I guess sports fans) who cover their face. It just comes with the practice, because it makes a person less identifiable.
I don’t know much about the Muslim belief, but just because one group’s reading of their scripture does not call for veils doesn’t mean they should ban it for other Muslim groups. But, it should also be up to the girl to decide if she wants to wear a veil or not, not a family forcing their religion views on the daughters/wives.

No comments:

Post a Comment