Sunday, October 18, 2009

Diwali





This article in the Washington Post website,http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfaith/panelists/aseem_shukla/2009/10/president_obama_lights_white_house_with_diwali_lamp.html?hpid=talkbox1, discusses how Obama’s participation in a Diwali celebration, a Hindu holiday, somehow made Hindus seem more welcome in America. The White House Diwali celebrations started during Bush’s administration, but he never attended any of the celebrations.

First off, I don’t really know that much about Diwali; I just know that it’s Diwali when I see all the Christmas lights out before December(I live in Artesia, so I don’t know if it’s different in other areas.) But I feel that there is a double standard here because Hindus are a minority when compared with Christians. For example, when there’s a cross on government property, there’s at least 1 group complaining but if there’s a Hindu celebration on government property, it’s praised for cultural diversity?

But I think this shows the religion will always be a part of government because around 88% of Americans still associate themselves with a religion. (http://www.thearda.com/internationalData/countries/Country_234_2.asp) And it’s only natural to feel proud of your religion when you see certain aspects of it mentioned in the media and it would be unnatural to vote for things you think are wrong because someone says that your religion is clouding your judgment.

No comments:

Post a Comment