Friday, October 30, 2009

Nativity Scene on the Side of a Public Road















This article on the Fox News website, http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,570308,00.html, is about a lawsuit that concerns the banning of a Nativity display on the side of a public road. The Nativity display has been put up every year during the Christmas season since 1945, with the exception of one year when there was construction being done.

I feel really bad for the person who was instructed to put the sign down because of its religious themes. The only reason why the display is on the public road is because it couldn’t fit inside the church (the church is supposedly really close to the display). The argument against this is that it violates the First Amendment because it would respect an establishment of religion. I understand this dilemma, but I hope the city can sell this little property to the church so the church can continue their tradition. I feel like whoever squealed on the display was really looking for something, because if the display is as close to the church as the article makes it seem, how would the person know that it wasn’t church property? I think Christians are sometimes hurt by how well people know their religion, because if another religion put up something like a dog statue(if there’s a religion who has dogs as their gods) outside of their worship house, people might not notice because it isn’t overtly religious.

No comments:

Post a Comment