Friday, October 16, 2009

Abortion in Hospitals










This article on abc 7’s website, http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1009/669383.html, covers the dispute of an hospital expansion between the hospital, which is Catholic owned, and pro-abortion groups. The article briefly mentioned that the Mormons were also in the bid to open up a hospital in the same county so I found another article(http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Pro-choice-groups-try-to-stop-Catholic-hospital-expansion-8384376-64235367.html) that discusses the bid between the 2.
After reading everything, I want the Catholics to win(but I might be biased because my mom is Catholic), but I don’t understand why both can’t be approved. The Catholic hospital would not allow abortions to be done at the hospital while the Mormon hospital would allow them. The first article notes that the abortion thing isn’t that big of a deal, because only a few percentage of abortions are done in hospitals, the most of them being performed in clinics. Also, even though the Mormon church would be cheaper to build($200 million), the Catholic church would pay for it all($267 million) while the Mormons will only finance a portion. The Mormons argue that their location is better because there are less medical services available in that certain area. I don’t know what location they’re looking at, but the Catholics want their church on a community college(so it would be on government owned property).
If only 1 hospital should be chosen, I think the Catholic one should be chosen because the only cost to the city would be the land and they would be a full service hospital with the exception of abortion. While the other option might cost taxpayers extra just for the added option of having an abortion at a hospital. I understand that religion and government shouldn’t cross, but abortion is murder(my pov). And the Catholic one is experienced and seems to be doing a lot of good; the 2nd article says that “more than 70 percent of uninsured women having children from upcounty” gives birth at the Catholic hospital’s other location. And the bio students in the community college can get experience while interning at the hospital.
I couldn’t find any articles about the actual bid and if the Mormons have another church at another location.

No comments:

Post a Comment