Friday, October 23, 2009

10 Commandments in a Courthouse




















This article on the Fox News website, http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/20/counties-seek-court-approval-courthouses-secular-commandment-display/, covers the story of a courthouse’s trouble of getting approval to have a display about the “Foundations of American Law and Government,” because it includes the 10 Commandments in the display. The display consists of various things related to American history including the Bill of rights and the Declaration of Independence.

This has been an issue for a long time now. In 2005, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that religious materials could be allowed as long as it is part of an educational or historical display. The attorneys argue that the display is for “educational and historical purposes”. And the ACLU(http://aclu.org/) argues that the only reason why the court wants the display is to display the 10 Commandments.

Even though the 10 Commandments is a religious thing, I think it is okay to have it included in an American history display because it is a part of American history. Even though the Puritans were not the founding fathers of our country, our history still starts with them landing on Plymouth Rock. And the Puritans came to America to practice religion freely and I think it is important to remember that. I know it sounds ironic that the 10 Commandments can represent freedom of religion, but I feel that it does in this display. I think many people always stress that the Pilgrims were Christians instead of as Christians who wanted the freedom to practice their religion freely.

No comments:

Post a Comment