This article by the Associated Press, http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iX2fakx508zGm4ff4XnCXYK260SwD9C2SQ401, discusses how Muslim countries are seeking to get a ban on blasphemy to prevent Islam from mockery.
I find it ironic that both sides of the ban are arguing for freedom. The main argument against the ban is the freedom of speech and the main argument for the ban is freedom of religion. It’s sad that most of the Muslim people that are supporting the ban did not really care for this “freedom of religion” until their prophet was made into a cartoon. Many religions like Christianity and Judaism are frequently mocked, but no one really complained. I haven’t heard any complaints about how people make fun of Scientology(even though it’s not really a religion, some people think it is)either, even though I’ve heard more jokes about Scientology than I do Islam.
The article also mentions how blasphemy laws have previously been used to “suppress dissidents.” If this is the case, this ban would also suppress the growth of new religions. Islam grew out of Protestantism, Protestantism grew out of Catholicism and Catholicism grew out of Judaism. If this ban is passed, it’s almost as if the Muslim people are going against their own roots.
No comments:
Post a Comment